Health Secretary: Kentucky Medicaid Benefits Will Be Cut If State Loses Court Battle

Jun 20, 2018

Adam Meier was recently became the head of Kentucky's Cabinet for Health and Family Services.
Credit Kentucky.com

Kentucky’s top health official says the state will have to cut benefits to Medicaid recipients if a federal court strikes down changes to the program which is scheduled to begin roll out July 1.

Gov. Matt Bevin got permission from the Trump administration to require “able-bodied” Medicaid recipients to pay monthly premiums and prove that they are working, volunteering, a full time student or trying to find work in order to keep their health coverage. 
But a lawsuit brought by 16 low-income Kentuckians argues that Bevin’s changes violate Congress’ original intent for the Medicaid program and that the governor is just trying to cut people from the program. 
Adam Meier, secretary of the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services, says if the court blocks the Medicaid changes, the state will have to cut benefits. 
“Probably right away dental and vision would be removed from the low income adult group, likely pharmacy as well,” 
Arguments over the lawsuit were heard in U.S. District Court in Washington, D.C. last week and a ruling is expected before the changes are implemented on July 1. 
The new requirements will be initially rolled out in Campbell County on July 1st.