Think twice before giving pets bones to chew on during holiday meals. Licensed Veterinary Technician Racheal Shultz of the Murray Animal Hospital says to avoid giving pets any part of the meal. She says the biggest problem she encounters during the holidays is pets suffering from digestive problems after their owner slipped them food from the table.
Shultz says to stay away from pork products because they are hard on dogs’ and cats’ systems.
“Their pancreas just can’t process those foods like ours can. So they end up with pancreatitis, just the inflammation of that (the pancreas). And that can be life threatening.”
Safety for pets can be a concern during the holiday season, especially for animals that get nervous around people. Shutz says to consider pheromone plug-ins.
“There’s actually plug-ins just for your walls, just like a Glade plug-in, that releases calming pheromones for dogs and cats, they make them for both.”
Shultz says to put the plug-in around high traffic areas in the home and to consider anxiety medication if the plug-in isn’t enough.
She says boarding animals during parties is also an option.