In a deal with the British Library, Google will digitize some 250,000 books that date between 1700 and 1800. The BBC reports the partnership will allow readers to "view, search and copy the out-of-copyright works at no charge on both the library and Google books websites."
Michigan's governor announced a new reform program for Detroit schools Monday. The program creates a mini district for the city's lowest performing schools — and it works with university and private partners to improve schools and offer guaranteed college scholarships for city students. Detroit's long-troubled school system has been beset in recent years by financial mismanagement and declining enrollment. The district has already embarked on a plan to turn nearly half of its schools into charter schools.
Japanese officials say conditions at the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant have markedly improved since the March 11 disaster, but the plant still won't be completely stabilized until early next year. At a meeting of the International Atomic Energy Association in Vienna Monday, officials released two reports that detail what went wrong — and what went right — in the aftermath of the crisis.
Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, the former leader of Tunisia, was sentenced to 35 years in prison after a day-long trial in Tunis. Ben Ali and his wife, who sought exile in Saudi Arabia in January, were convicted in absentia. The two were charged with embezzlement among other things.
A new coal mining rule goes into effect tomorrow that regulators hope will help prevent explosions like the one at the Upper Big Branch Mine last year. The federal Mine Safety and Health Administration will require coal mine dust to be at least 80 percent rock dust, which is non-combustible. The other 20 percent can be coal dust, which can cause explosions.
With the fall election 20 weeks away, the two major gubernatorial slates in Kentucky are beating the bushes for campaign dollars. So far, Democratic Gov. Steve Beshear and his running mate, Jerry Abramson, are out-raising Republican Senate President David Williams and his running mate Richie Farmer, but both campaigns are loading up for the fall campaign.
It appears Lexington officials are willing to give the state less-restrictive fireworks law a try this summer. The new legislation allows for the sale of firecrackers and flying fireworks, which were previously illegal. In Louisville, officials are considering a local proposal which is more restrictive than state law.